Once you taste this dish you may want to make it every Valentine’s Day. The melt-in-your mouth filet mignon blanketed in the luscious Gorgonzola cheese sauce is an exquisite combination. Serve with lightly sautéed, still crisp asparagus and a citrusy big IPA like Lake Effect IPA from Great Lakes Brewery for a perfect meal with your Valentine.
- 2 (4 ounce) filet mignons (brought to room temperature)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 4 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium-high for 5 to 7 minutes
- Liberally salt and pepper steaks on each side and very lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Place steaks in pan and cook for about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, turning once (don’t poke and move the meat around – let the pan do the work).
- When steaks have reached desired doneness (please, nothing over medium rare) remove and let rest for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add diced shallot and minced garlic, cook for about 1 minute stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes, or until mushrooms are cooked.
- Pour in heavy cream and stir in crumbled blue cheese. Cook for another minute or until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth.
- Plate the filet and pour the cream sauce over the meat. Serve with asparagus and crusty bread. You can serve any extra sauce on the side for dipping.