The Old Fashioned cocktail has long been considered the bar standard and dates back to 1880. It was invented in Louisville, Kentucky and became famous when the Waldorf Astoria in New York City began serving it as their signature drink. When the cocktail crossed the border a wise imbiber decided to add a dash of Canadian flavour – maple syrup.
- 2 1/2 oz. Canadian Craft Whisky
- 1 oz. Pure Canadian Maple Syrup
- 1 oz. Lemon juice
- 1 Dash of Angostura Bitters
- 2 Sprigs fresh thyme
- Combine the whisky, maple syrup, lemon juice, bitters and the leaves from the thyme sprigs in a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle the thyme a bit, fill with ice and shake well
- Serve straight up or on the rocks to tame down the strength a bit.